Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Help

Kathryn Stockett wrote an instant best seller when she penned The Help. The Help is told from three points of view: one white woman, and two black women that work as maids in Jackson, Mississippi. Their characters are unique and have very clear personalities and voices that prove it. The Help follows the three as they unexpectedly join together in order to give a true perspective on what it is like to be a black maid in Mississippi in the 1960s. Through crazy employers, difficult mothers, lovely children, death threats and more the three women's tales hit close to home for many women during the Civil Rights Movement.

Within it's first 30 pages The Help jumped onto my top ten favorite books -- ever. Everything is real. Everything is told in truth. Everything is spectacular. The Help made me laugh out loud and will make most people cry as well. It's honesty shocked me. I had not realized how badly black women in the South were being treated within one generation of me. It is hard to describe how wonderful The Help is and everything it taught me. Please read The Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment