Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sold

Sold by Patricia McCormick was one of the best books I've read all year. The general idea is the a 13-year-old girl from the mountains in Nepal gets sold into prostitution. Saying that: it's so much more. Her voice is so different, I could honestly believe that this was a Auto-biography. It is actually fiction, but inspired by all the girls who really do get sold into prostitution. I hope this book inspires people to help stop the sex trade.
Written almost in a poem, the unique style made Sold easier to read and specially true to the book and characters. I applaud  Patricia McCormick for doing all her research, making a point and all without forcing it on you or making the book too boring.
I thought it was so cool that I person from America could write with such a realistic voice. I wanted the book to keep going and going. I wanted to know what would happen to Lakshmi (the main character) and all the other ones. It really puts our troubles into perspective. 
There are definitely some heavy parts in Sold and I recommend it to mature readers. The youngest I would suggest would be for end-of-year seventh graders. Once you do reach, or if you've already reached, the maturity level of Sold it's a must read.
-Jojo

No comments:

Post a Comment